Institute for Excellence in Writing also known as IEW offers a unique approach to spelling in their Phonetic Zoo courses. They come in three levels, A, B, or C and is recommended for grades 3 and up. After taking the placement test, I decided it would be best for Sarah to begin with the Phonetic Zoo Spelling Level A [Starter Set].
IEW approaches spelling in a sequential and phonics based manner. It also includes CD's for an auditory approach to learning as well as the visual approaches of flashcards.
- five audio CDs, labeled Disc One through Disc Five (Level C has six CDs.)
- set of large flash cards
- set of small Zoo Cards
- link for a PDF teacher's ebook (sample)
- link to a streaming seminar of Spelling and the Brain
- First step was to watch the Spelling and the Brain Seminar which explained a lot of the struggles I see often in my children. It was such an informational seminar and eye opening.
- I printed out the lesson pages from the teacher ebook and placed them in their own binder. This step is not necessary because you can read it off of your computer but we are doing a lot of car schooling lately so I wanted to do it this way.
- I placed the little flashcards in baseball card protectors (from my couponing days!) and stuck them in a folder for Sarah. That folder was for her to look back on and study the rules and animals that went with the rules. There is also an option in the appendix to make a Phonetic Zoo board or a lapbook which looked fun too!
- I placed the large flashcards in a small notebook with half sheet page protectors. You could also place them on a ring because they already have a hole punched in them for that purpose.