Institute for Excellence in Writing (IEW) has redesigned Fix It! Grammar and published a new set of Fix It! Grammar Books.
- Fix It! Grammar: The Nose Tree [Teacher’s Manual Book 1]
- Fix It! Grammar: Robin Hood [Teacher’s Manual Book 2]
- Fix It! Grammar: Frog Prince, or Just Deserts [Teacher’s Manual Book 3]
- Fix It! Grammar: Little Mermaid [Teacher’s Manual Book 4]
- Fix It! Grammar: Chanticleer [Teacher’s Manual Book 5]
- Fix It! Grammar: Sir Gawain and the Green Knight [Teacher’s Manual Book 6]
Concepts taught in Fix It! Grammar (Book 1) - The Nose Tree:
- Identify these parts of speech: nouns, articles, pronouns, verbs, helping verbs, adjectives, -ly adverbs, prepositions, coordinating conjunctions, clause starters (www.asia.b words).
- Use these punctuation marks correctly: end marks (periods, question marks, and exclamation points), quotation marks, apostrophes to show ownership and in contractions.
- Choose the correct homophone or usage when given a choice: their/their/they’re, to/two/too, its/it’s, your/you’re.
- Understand basic rules for capitalization and indentation.
- You begin the week by introducing and teaching the concept for the week and helping your student apply it to the Day 1 passage.
- You would also print (e-book) or cut out (physical book) the grammar card/s that go with the concept you are learning for the week.
- Do the daily concepts listed below together if necessary. I normally let Stephen and Sarah do them on their own unless it was a totally new concept for them.
- Read the day's passage.
- Look up the bolded vocabulary word in a dictionary and choose which definition fits the meaning of the word in the sentence.
- Fix the passage using the abbreviations at the top of the page along with the grammar card/s. These abbreviations are only available in the first three books of the series.
- Rewrite the sentence correctly in your own notebook. This helps to reinforce the concept as well as gives handwriting practice. When they finish the course, they will have the whole story written out.
That's it! It is amazing how easy the design and process is but more importantly how great it works! I am looking forward to seeing how well they do in the grammar end of year testing this year.
You Tube: https://www.youtube.com/user/iewtv